Incorporating manageable, doable DIY is an important creative outlet for many of us. Taking on a fun family project, such as a magnetic chalkboard wall, or creating a cool statement piece like a bar cart from a garden shelving unit gives us a sense of accomplishment. Especially when we get great results that only cost a few dollars.
Not everything goes perfectly and mistakes are made. It’s all documented here.
- Researching Your Home’s HistoryOriginally published in this blog in December 2017. Ever Wondered Who Died in Your House? AREN'T YOU JUST A BIT CURIOUS? Researching your home's history can be rewarding. If you’re … Read more
- Tips on Using the Maplewood Memorial Library Digital ArchiveIf you are interested in the history of your SOMa NJ home and community, Maplewood Memorial Library has many ways in which to aid historical research. The Thomson Archive Scrapbook. … Read more
- Home Renovation COVID-19 Edition: How the Pandemic Shifted My PrioritiesWaaaay back in March (can you remember what life was like back then?) I was scheduled to kick off a relatively small scale kitchen renovation over here on Oakview Avenue … Read more
- Designing for Small Spaces | A Handful of DIY IdeasContrary to popular belief, designing for small spaces doesn’t mean you can’t go big, bold, and deep. So pick a wall and consider one of the following ideas.
- Everyday Objects with Jess DavisA glimpse of how interior designer Jess Davis of Nest Studio juxtaposes modern sensibilities with vintage Victorian charm.
- Understanding Steam Heat. Simple.Many homes in South Orange and Maplewood, NJ use steam heat, an outdated but very comfortable heat source is simple to understand, but requires routine attention for proper operation. Steam … Read more
- Four Chairs and a Pot of Annie Sloan PaintWhen we bought our first home, my parents gave us their kitchen table, a dark-wood, colonial type.I grew up with that table, just like my kids are – hours of … Read more
- A Ballet Barre as Installation Art, A Young Ballerino Finds His Special PlaceNatural Elements Meets Industrial Design If you're Linda Beck of South Orange NJ, you're at home in natural environs where the simplest of scavenger hunts can turn up the most … Read more
- An Outdoor Bar Cart for Your Fine Lawn Party and Boozy NeedsGOAL: Makeover a rusty mid-century modern three-tiered shelving unit on two wheels into an elegant outdoor bar cart for my stone patio. My DIY Bar Cart Whatever you do, make … Read more
- Magnetic Chalkboard WallGOAL: Create a large chalkboard wall to display the loads of artwork created by my three kids – all at the same time. Admittedly, this is gonna be a difficult … Read more
- How to Paint a Bistro Set in Bright Yellow and BlueGOAL: To paint a bistro set that is peeling and chipping and turn it into a fun and colorful addition to my kid’s outdoor play area. My kids love playing … Read more